Moving can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you choose to hire outside professionals or you choose to do it yourself, being prepared will ultimately make the move much smoother. Your REALTOR® can advise you and help make your move easier. Be sure to ask for their advice.
Not all moving companies are created equal. If you choose to hire professional movers here are a number of things to consider:
- Will they do the packing for you?
- If so, do they provide insurance for your valuables?
- Do they charge a flat rate or an hourly fee? What does that rate include?
- Are you protected against liability?
For those who prefer the do-it-yourself method, here are some considerations:
- Find a truck rental company and book early. They are always busy at the end of the month.
- What size truck do you need? One trip is always better than many.
- Does the rental company provide moving pads, packing boxes and dollies?
- Do you need insurance?
Spread the packing out over a number of weeks. Label each box with the room that it belongs to and take an inventory of its contents and the number of boxes per room. Use heavy packing tape and newspaper to keep fragile items safe. Be sure to label all fragile boxes and move them separately. Don’t over-pack boxes so that you cannot lift them. Finally, pack a separate box (labelled ‘survival kit’) of items necessary for getting through the first few days in your new home. Happy moving!